Residential roofs take a beating day after day. Weather, water, wind, sun exposure and even falling debris all cause damage, wear and tear to roofs. Insulation can break down, supports can weaken, and leaks can cause havoc. But when do you know when you can merely repair or when you must replace your roof?
Key Indicators Your Roof Needs Hercules Roofing
Some indications that your roof may need repair or replacement by a residential roof contractor:
- Roof shingle tabs are cupped, bald, torn or cracked
- Curled roof shingle edges
- Your roof is at least 20 years old
- Your roof looks worn, has dark, greenish (algae) streaks or moss growing on it.
- There’s an excessive amount of shingle granules in the gutters
- You can see blistering, buckling or rotting
- The roof deck is sagging, signs of water damage or leaking roof, dark spots and trails or outside light showing through the roof
Residential Roofing Costs
Depending on the age of your roof, the existing material and the reason for the repair, a partial re-roofing could be an option. However, beware of being “penny-wise and pound foolish.” A partial re-roofing may save money in immediate materials but may cost more money in the long run. Contact us for a residential roof replacement cost to determine how much it should be to replace the roof. The cost can vary depending on if our residential roof company is doing a flat roof replacement, tile roofing, re-roofing or roof shingles installation.
Steep Slope Roof Components
Every steep slope roof has five components:
- Shingles, tile, slate or metal and the underlayment that protects the sheathing from weather
- Sheathing (boards attached to rafters to cover a house)
- Rafters and trusses to support the sheathing
- Flashing used at joints to prevent leaks
- The ability of the roof to shed water
With a partial re-roofing, you may end up fixing problems only detected in the top layers of the roof system. Problems with the sheathing or underlayment may go undetected and cause larger issues later. Also, if you replace a portion of the roof now, there’s always the risk that you won’t be able to match new and old color lots of tiles or other materials.